It’s hard to believe that it’s July and winter has finally arrived – I don’t know about you, but it’s also the time of year I daydream about my time in Queensland. While I don’t have plans to move back there – I would like to push the fast forward button on winter and welcome Spring already!
I certainly hope the last financial year was successful for you, and you have your plans in place for another year full of personal and professional achievements.
I will be honest with you and say that while I have been a family lawyer for close to 10 years (in fact, I celebrate my 10th anniversary in law in December this year), it is the last 12 months that has brought me the most joy and pride.
I suspect part of the reason is that twelve months ago I sat down and identified what it is within family law that I found the most rewarding, and which clients I have most enjoyed working with. I have been working really hard to direct the future of my practice in a way that aligns with those values.
I realised that more than anything else, the people I have really enjoyed working with the most are parents whose relationship with their children are more important to them than anything else. And as part of that, they recognise the importance of maintaining respectful relationships with their former spouse.
It is those clients I have found are often motivated and committed to completing their separation in a dignified and respectful manner so they can focus on their future in a positive way. And I am really pleased to tell you that of the clients who came to me and told me they wanted to reach a negotiated outcome, 95% of those matters have resolved by negotiation with consent orders being made reflecting their agreement. The remaining 5% have found themselves unwilling participants in the court process.
Over the last 12 months I have restructured my practice so that I now offer:
- Structured advice and a separation strategy in my first meeting with my clients to help them understand their options about the pathways available to resolving their family law matter;
- Fixed pricing to provide my clients with security and certainty over their legal fees;
- Negotiated outcomes through lawyer assisted negotiation and mediation (wherever possible); and
- From August I will also be able to guide my clients through the collaborative process – which is about cooperation, rather than confrontation using a cost-effective process focussed on finding solutions away from the Family Courts.
You may not know that my practice thrives through word of mouth referrals. Accordingly, if you think that I will be a good fit for any of your friends, family members, clients or colleagues who are experiencing separation and who are focussed on finding solutions to finalise their separation away from the family court process, I will be really grateful if you provide them with my contact details.
In the meantime, if you would like to speak to me and fill me on what has been happening in your life and work over the last 12 months, I really encourage you to get in touch!